Monday, June 22, 2009

The Ultimate Fathers Day in Chelem

Where is in the world could you experience what we did in a few short hours with our local Mexican family? Since we moved from Delaware, Fathers Day, Mothers Day and similar holidays just haven't been the same, after all the kids are back home. Yesterday we had a marvelous day! We had the chance that many of the local gringo's don't get to experience. We have been so blessed that a local family has taken us in as theirs. These lovely people include us in everything, fiesta's, anniverseries, local cooking, child raising etc. They held surprise birthday parties for both Doug and I last year and all showed up with food and presents. The latest in a long list of great surprises was yesterday. Eduardo knew that we were missing our boys, Jake and Justin. He called us and wanted to take us a boat ride over in the lagoon. Sounded like fun and we had never been on a boat on that side. I took so many great pictures but it is never the same as the experience! Here are a few of my favorite shots. Remember that when you move to Mexico the most exciting and gratifying party is experiencing the local culture!


This is leaving the local harbor, it is right by the seafood store that I wrote about earlier
Captain Jose taking us off on our new adventure in Chelem


Part of our family, the girls are Eduardo's sister, Orsula, the baby, Yomara and his wife Marta

We hadn't been in the water 3 minutes when came across our first flock of pink flamingos. I am totally enamored with them, took about 10 pictures but will only subject you to one! Aren't they just gorgeous?

As soon as reached the other side of the Ria, about 5 minutes they took us on a trail that lead to a cenote. Look what was swimming in it! A sea turtle! Contrary to what they say about turtles this one was quick, I took a lot of pictures but even this one which was the best, I ended up cutting off his head. Oh well, you get the idea.

We jump in the boat again and head another minute or two away and this is what we see



We take a short walk and there are small palapas and piers for shade and swimming


Our Mexican family portrait. We all got in to cool off, clothes and all. The water was incredibly salty, if was hard to keep our feet on the sand. This is the area where the locals catch shrimp and crabs

Even Mama got in with her dress on. One of the things that I love about the Yucatecos is that they never leave the old or the young behind.
Yomara loved the water and was like a little fish!


As did her Papa and uncles, and don't forget Mama!
Of course by now we are thirsty, time to head over to a little lagoon front restaurant and have a few cold cervezas



Yomara is swinging while we enjoy free appetizers and cold beer
All to soon the day is over and it's time to head home, time to put my flip flops back on (thanks Deron) and get back to the real estate business. I'm totally recharged and invigorated. Just another day in the paradise that we call Chelem. I am so blessed to have both wonderful gringo and Mexican friends and family! Till next time, I'm just chillin in Chelem!


6 comments:

  1. What a great day! I love the flamingos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great day! I am just crazy over flamingos. Back when I lived in Delaware I collected pictures and little knick knacks of them, I never dreamed that I would live somewhere where they were native!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice post! I really enjoyed reading about your day with good friends , and little Yomara is precious !!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this post and the photos. It sounds like it was a great day. I also enjoyed your steak restaurant post. Sometime you might also try Recova in Merida. It is equally good and Argentinian.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seems like you are adapting to yor new surroundings nicely. Great set of pictures. Thanks for sharing.

    -- Dan
    Outer Banks Revealed

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dan, I love my new surroundings! I see you are from the Outer Banks, my favorite place in the world besides Mexico. I spent all my childhood summers there as well as my honeymoon. Thanks for dropping in!

    Paul, Glad you enjoyed the photos. How do I find Recova? It's about time for another good steak!

    ReplyDelete