Thursday, June 4, 2009

Steak Dinner in Merida


For those of you that have spent any time in Mexico you know that steaks aren't always up to the same standards as we are used to in the US and Canada. I have been disappointed so many times that I have just given up. I eat chicken, seafood and some pork. This isn't a big problem for me because in all honesty I could survive with no problem just eating fresh fruits, veggies and seafood. Now for Doug this is a major problem! He is definitely a carnivore! Everywhere we go he tries a steak and everytime he is totally not happy with his meat! It has gotten to be a joke between the two of us, we go out, I order shrimp, he says "I think I'll try the filet." I say, "you know it's going to be horrible," and he says "somewhere in Mexico there has got to be a good steak!" Well we finally found the place! One of my good friends that lives in Belize was in Merida for medical reasons. Now Jan is originally from the Houston area, she knows a good steak! She called us up and said we had to go out to dinner with her, she had found the best steak in Latin America. We jumped in the shower, hopped in the car and off we went........


The name of the restaurant is Buenos Aires City, Sean and Susan good friends of ours had just told us about the place and the time was right, we were salivating!

The sign out front made Doug smile, Certified Angus, yum!!!!!!

Full selection of liquor and wine, even better.

Beautiful grill and sparkling clean kitchen, it's getting better all the time!

We arrived early, Mexicans don't generally eat dinner until 8:00 or 9:00. We were there at 6:30, first guests to arrive.

We ate and drank on the outside verandah were they allow smoking. This is Doug and me, Jan with the short blonde hair and Teresita our bilingual social worker who helps with all doctors referrals, translations and anything we gringos need in the way of medical assistance.




Look at this food! Absolutely perfect! Steak like I haven't had in 6 1/2 years! We ate every morsel and considering licking the plate, but I was trying to act like I had a little class!

And for the grand finale there was a wonderful list of desserts, we were all too stuffed to eat but had to try one with four spoons, a delicious caramel mousse with a dark chocolate layer inside and lots of fancies on the outside.

Food like this may get me away from the beach more often! Chillin' in Chelem!

7 comments:

  1. I agree. We have been able to purchase good beef at Costco and Wal-Mart. But it is very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even the USDA stuff that we have tried from Costco, Sam's Club etc., wasn't really that good, and you're right, very expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try the Arracharra (sp?) from Costco. it comes in it own package with marinade. Cut it thin and grill it. Yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that's some food ! You got to tell me more about that four spoon thingy with the chocolate inside ,, yummmm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Arrechera, that is the correct spelling. Also, if you find some, you will want to cut it while it is still a bit frozen. Otherwise it is so tender, that it just rips up the meat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chrissy and Keith, Yes we love arrechera but there are times when you just want a nice rib eye or filet mignon! After living here 6 years we have adapted well to the Yucatan food, but a taste of home is always an unexpected pleasure.

    Star, I don't know exactly what it was, but it was surely yummy! Jan bought it as we were all to full to eat another bite, if I had picked out something you could bet it would have been chocolate! Inside, outside and on the top!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm, love me a good steak too! Luckily there are a few Argentinian places in Cancun where I can splurge on a fantastic piece of meat. Costco is definitely the place to get quality beef, pricey, but worth it!

    ReplyDelete