Sunday, June 7, 2009

Shopping at the Local Fish Store in Chelem

If there is one thing that there is no shortage of along the Yucatan beaches it is good seafood! Doug and I eat fish and shrimp a couple of times a week. We have always depended on Eduardo my "adopted Mexican son," to provide us with the fresh catch of the day. While he is not a fisherman by trade, he knows all the secret spots and just brings over what we want. The other day we were talking to Sean and Susan and they turned us on to an incredible hidden treasure. It's a little seafood store off the beaten track that has everything! The owners name is Antonio and he has it all! Being originally from the eastern shore of Delaware I grew up eating what we called Maryland Blue Crabs, well guess what, they have them here to I guess here they are Chelem Blue Crabs. I haven't eaten them in years! Doug and Sean took off and here is what they found:

This is the sign in front of their house, you actually have to walk around the side yard and the seafood is in the back

Local people that are popping chivitas out of the shell. Chivitas is a local delicacy, that I haven't had any other place but here in the Yucatan. They are basically very small conch or whelk like animals, maybe Mexican escargot? They serve them as ceviche, mixed with lime juice, onion, tomato, cilantro and a tiny bit of hot pepper. You eat them on totopos, similiar to a Dorito. I love them!



The fish selection was unbelievable, I have been here so long that I mostly know the Spanish names for the fish but the English ones I remember are red snapper, grouper and hog fish. Believe me there are many more. Antonio will clean them and filete them for you or you can do it the Mexican way, gut them, put a couple of slashes on each side, rub in a little salt and fry them whole. Yes thats right whole, eyes, tails etc., that is called pescado frito. While at first it was a little frightening looking, I mean the fish is looking at you, it really is delicious!

Next, fresh stone crabs getting ready to go into the pot for those great crab claws!


And here's the pot.............



And finally my favorite..... Looks like the beginning a great crab feast to me!


Not only do they have fish and crabs but Antonio has fresh shrimp, octopus, calamari, anything that you can think of. It's not lobster season yet, but I'm sure that lobster will be available when it's legal! Just another reason to shop local! Support our local people! Until later, warm breezes and cold beers coming at ya, as well as a few crabs!

9 comments:

  1. Excellent find! What would you call "jaiba" in English? Like you, I know the Spanish names and can never figure out the English, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Canuck, over here in the Yucatan, jaiba is the blue crab and congreo (sp?) is stone crab. But I find that the dialect is very different between QR and the Yucatan!

    Chrissy, you really need to come for a visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great , thanks for posting this place!
    We got to go there !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, now we know where we can go for shells !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't you just love the Yucatan!? I'll be back on July 2 and I can hardly wait!
    Patt aka pattusa as in www.travelblog.org/bloggers/pattusa where you catch pictures of Merida, Progreso, Chelem and Chuburn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patt, you are almost here! I'm gonna have to check out your blog, hadn't seen it before. Maybe we could link to each other. And you're right I absolutely love the Yucatan, it is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first visit to your blog....I live near you in Chelem and have been to that fish store. He had lobster last time I was there too...HUGE lobster; a single tail weighed in at around a kilo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marla, I feel like I know you, we have friends in common, don't know why we have never run into each other! Friends of ours were just here for a week, when they left they didn't have time to eat a lobster they bought there and gave it to us. It is the biggest thing I have ever seen, as big as my fist at the large end. I don't even know how to cook one that big, but I'm sure gonna try!

    ReplyDelete