Saturday, November 7, 2009

Weather in Chelem

The last week has been very unusual here in Chelem. After going through months with no rain, it has rained now all week long. And I mean rained! The wind has blown and the temperatures have dropped down to the high 70's. Our normally green Gulf Coast waters have turned rough and gray. The tides have been much higher than normal and much of the coast has seen the effects of erosion. Now we have hurricane/tropical depression/tropical storm Ida heading towards the Riveria Maya coast. While we have no fears of it hitting us, it means more rain! This morning I got up and saw a ray of sunshine, I grabbed my flip flops and shades and headed to the beach. The smell of the salt was much stronger than normal, the high tide mark was higher than I have ever seen it, the beach was full of seaweed and treasures. I only had a few minutes, clients were coming over to look at houses at 9:00, but here is a quick sampling of what I found.


First the ocean, gray and muddy, looking more like the Atlantic than the Gulf

A variety of sea shells, unfortunately I don't know their names, except for this one, a conch


And this one a starfish, or in Spanish: estrella de mar

Don't know what these are, but thought they were cool looking
We used to call thes cone shells when I was a kid, may not be correct
Some kind of whelk possibly

All my treasures accumulated in about 10 minutes
The weather here may not always be perfect, it may be too hot or it may be rainy like the past week, but there is always something here to be thankful for! Good friends, good food and small treasures. Until next time, Chillin' in Chelem

Update! Today (Sunday) has been lovely, the storm clouds are gone, the sun is shining and the time is right for heading south! Now is the time to move south. Contact us at www.mayanliving.com to buy your piece of paradise now! For all of you up north where the weather isn't so nice, check out this:

3 comments:

  1. I wish we had some rain. This years monsoon season was a bust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is quite a haul of gorgeous shells! I haven't seen many intact shells like that in a long time, what a find, thanks for sharing pics. :) Hopefully the bad weather is over, though I suspect we'll get some nortes sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You found some nice ones. I've got to stop. The shells are taking over. LOL

    Marlene

    ReplyDelete