Saturday, October 31, 2009

Day off with the girls - Komchen

Even though we have been a two car family for a few months now, I still feel that we only have one car. Real estate had been keeping us so busy that I just had to have my own car, there are times that we need it for clients, as they tend to come en mass, and times that I just wanted to run to the store by myself. I never dreamed that I wouldn't have my own car when we moved here. I bought my first car at 14 and have had one ever since. Things change when you move to Mexico! Many couples share a car, others don't have a car at all. Anyway Doug's truck has been in and out of the shop recently and he has been using my car. I was starting to get cabin fever and ready to have a little "me" time, when Marlene mentioned that she and Barbara Bell were going off to a little village to buy some plants. Boy was I in! We left Chelem around 9 am and headed off to Komchen. Komchen is a small village/puebla about 40 minutes from here down winding, narrow. back roads. It is a town so small that I didn't see a gas station or restaurant, just a few small tiendas and houses.

This is leaving Chelem and crossing the lagoon, it's always a great day in paradise when you see flamingos!

As we entered into Komchen there were flowers blooming everywhere.


The nursery was across the street from a small tienda, you had to walk through a field and hang a right. If you didn't know it was there you would never find it.

It was like walking through a jungle maze....


Marlene and the owner

My favorite! Barbara picked out a truckload literally, of plants, 3 royal palms that were probably 12 foot tall each, less than $15 each. We filled the back of the truck with a variety of different tropical plants for under $80.


Hot, thirsty and hungry we walked across the street to the tienda which we had heard served lunch.



Check out the homemade brooms and squeegies!

There were only 3 small tables so we ended up sharing with some very nice Mexican gentlemen. Barbara is so happy with all her plants, she just can't stop smiling.




Barbara and I each had a plateful of fried chicken, boneless breast, hammered and breaded, served with rice, salad, tortillas and a soft drink.

Marlene had meatballs in a some kind of soup with spaghetti noodles and fresh herbs. Total for all three of us, less than $12.


Time to load up the truck and head back to Chelem

Most of the way home there wasn't a lot to see, just jungle and narrow roads, but, we all thought these arches were kinda cool. I always wonder, who lived here, where are they now, what did they do?






We came to another little town as we were on our way home, I think it was Caucel, but don't quote me on that. This little boy was so cute, just sitting there all by his self, smiling, happy with the world.





A very common form of transportation here in the Yucatan. Maybe if I buy one of these, Doug won't be using it all the time!


Ahhhhhh as we cross back over to paradise and my own little world...... another pink flamingo.

What a great day! Everything here is about the journey, not the destination. Here we have time to stop and enjoy life. We live in such a beautiful place, full of wonderful people, how blessed I am! I talk to clients all the time, their world is hectic, it's getting cold, it's raining and snowing. Here it's snowing sunshine! Till next time, I'm just chillin' in Chelem.

7 comments:

  1. Wow!!! I love (tropical) plants, palms, I wish I was there.

    Annemarie

    ReplyDelete
  2. fab pics, plants and the soup looks great. 28 days and counting! gotta find someplace for robert to watch monday night football. you all look so relaxed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post, and what a fun day out with 'the girls'.
    Tell Robert Monday Night football at Mercer's on Montejo, next to la Parilla.
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a lovely trip. We have to do something like that more often. Nancy, the soup was great...albondigas.

    Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can we get directions to the nursery?? I have been in this town but have no idea where the nursery is. Thanks for the great info

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a great trip, with great plants and friends. We really should do things like this more often! Nancy, there are a couple of places to watch Monday Nite Football, we will make sure Robert has his "fix." As far as directions, Marlene may do a better job than me, but I'll try.... We took the back road from Chuburna to Merida, turned at the Komchen turn to our right. Drove thru the town asking where Gladys' store was. It is a small tienda on the left named Espana. The nursery is right across the street.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My hubby and I went to Komchen when we were down last time. Myself being a green thumb loved this nursery. I wanted to buy one of everything, but held back as we are not live full time in Chelem, not yet, but soon. I will be back to this nursery to buy more!!

    ReplyDelete