Friday, February 6, 2009

Why do I live in Chelem?

Many of my friends can't understand why I would leave "the good life" in the US and move to a developing country such as Mexico. The answers for me are very simple, I want a quieter better life, I couldn't afford to buy property on the beach back at home, here in the Yucatan the beach life is attainable for the average person such as me, there are so many less rule here, basically just don't do anything to hurt anybody, the cost of living is much less so our dollars or pesos stretch much further and finally the people here are some of the best people I have ever meet. The Yucatan is kind of a separate entity, the local people are of Mayan descent, they are artists, farmers and cooks. They have a very laid back and welcoming attitude to us gringos, they go out of their way to help, smile and joke with you, even if your Spanish is limited.

We went last week to pay our house taxes - $36 for the year, can you believe it? Our house is a work in progress, a 2 story, 3 bed, 2 bath one house off from the beach. Every month we do one more project to turn it into our dream home. We don't worry about crime or drugs here, that just hasn't come to this sleepy little village yet, I leave my doors unlocked and keys in the car, just as my parents did in years past. I go to the local market and buy fresh fruits and veggies and fresh squeezed juices. I love my life here! Please let me know if you have any questions about the area, I'm am always happy to help anyone considering a move or simply a vacation!

1 comment:

  1. Just found your blog and I am enjoying reading all of it. My wife and I are retired and planning to move to the Yucatan at the end of July this year 2011. You said that you could not afford a beach house in the states but you could there....we can't afford one in the states or Mexico. We are living on our SS...in your town is it possible to find a long term rental for under $500 US a month? We are considering Merida as our first choice but the beach is always nice. Thanks for any information.
    -Michael and Patty Kaqne

    ReplyDelete