Friday, July 29, 2011

What's going on in Chelem this Summer?

Over and over again clients and friends ask me what do I do in my free time. First of all, I don't get a lot of free time, owning a company, marketing, managing employees, getting listings and the regular household stuff doesn't allow us to do much. However one of the things that we always try to fit in is the Funky Market at Taco Maya. The owners of Taco Maya, Paul and Carol, were some of the first people that we met when we moved to Chelem, they are great people that we don't get to spend enough time with.

Along with their great restaurant, they started the Funky Market tradition! Both local people from Chelem and Chuburna come as well as artists from Merida and the outlying villages. It is a wonderful mish-mash of art, jewelry, food and more. It also gives us a chance to catch up with some of our friends that we haven't had a chance to see recently.

I have posted pictures before both here and on our Mayan Living SA de CV Facebook page but this time I wanted to give a few of the artists websites and emails. People always ask me who did what and how much it costs and many times I don't remember..........

The first two pictures are of a gentleman who brings assorted flowers and plants into Chelem every Saturday. He has a wonderful selection and great prices starting at less than $2 a piece.








Aren't these painted palm branches that look like birds adorable?
This gentleman makes all kinds of hanging signs, you can tell him what towns you want on them, unfortunately I didn't get his info, but I'm sure that Paul or Carol know how to get up with him.

Some great artwork featuring people and scenes that the artist sees everyday in Merida, this artist speaks perfect English and has a couple of websites, www.spunkyandmondo.com and agustingraphics.com. He also has a Facebook page where he features new work and runs contests, look under agustin art galeria. For locals that are interested his phone number is 999-262-4510
Another talented local artist is Marco Ocaranza, marcoocaranza@hotmail.com, 999-258-1093. Marco works with all types of mediums, he does sand and wax castings, makes custom furniture and sculptures. Marco also works on film sets for the Discovery Channel and and worked on the Mel Gibson movie Apocalypto.

Marco made the screen in this shot
One of my favorites from Agustin, so typical of any street here in the Yucatan.
One of our urban legends in the area is the Chicxulub Crater, the story goes that many years ago a meteorite struck the Mexican coastline in Chicxulub and resulted in the extinction of the dinosaurs. This talented gentleman from Virginia makes stunning necklaces and phone chains from the crater stones. For more information on his work contact him at malcommassey@hotmail.com Originally from Virginia Beach he is loving living in Chelem!

Our dear friends, Jeff and Nancy, always show up with their wonderful homemade hot sauce, stunning mobiles made from natural materials such as sea glass, bamboo and shells, along with wonderful breads and goodies that taste just like home except better! We use their hot sauce on everything.

Another one of my favorites is Rosalba Peraza, she and her boyfriend make beautiful jewelry, do stunning wall murals and more.
I love the little flip flop earrings and have bought some in all colors from Rosy. Her contact info is royal.23@hotmail.com
Here is our shining Star of Chelm, she and her husband brought lovely hand painted conch shells, banana nut bread, pumpkin bread and apple bread pudding muffins, seems that they were trying to sabotage my diet!
Another fabulous artist Pamela Benjamin had divine stained glass and jewelry. Pamela does custom glass windows, panels and cabinet doors. She has stained glass classes and glass jewelry making classes. Pamela is a member of the Stained Glass Art Guild in Florida. Her contact info is stained_glassandmore@yahoo.com and local number is 999-143-3441.

Check out her beautiful work:




I LOVE this one!
Joan Paci was there with wrapped wire jewelry, homemade postcards and oilcloth tableclothes and aprons.

I didn't get a chance to talk with this gentleman, but his stuff is really cool!
Lovely handmade jewelry from Caravana
Beautifully cut and painted gourds and windchimes.
I know that I missed quite a few of the vendors but will try to make up for it the next time!
So, if you have been thinking about moving to the beach but were afraid that it would be too tranquil for you, believe me it's not! We have great restaurants, local shopping, art fairs, Funky Markets, karaoke and much more.

Don't forget to check out all of our listings on our website and if you have any questions about the area and living here give us a call or drop us an email. The team at Mayan Living is here to help you before, during and after the sale. This is Yucatan living at it's best!

Until later, we are just "Chillin in Chelem." ;-)

7 comments:

  1. Hey Theresa, Excellent pictures & comments, our next market will be in october or november when the cold weather will drive down a lot more customers from up north. We are thing about doing a regular bakers market though, we will keep you up to date when a decision is made on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot Paul! We are really looking forward to the next one. Bakers market hmmmmmm, are you trying to sabotage my diet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hola Teresa & Doug, thank you very much for the pictures and for put my work here and FB on, thank you, I´m sure that something good is going to happen, best regards, Marco Ocaranza

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there,

    My mom is renting this place for the winter... do you know anything about it? http://www.vrbo.com/370997#rates

    I am a little worried. She will be there for 6 months.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jet, I don't personally know the place, but if she is only 1 KM from the center of Chelem she will be very close to Doug and I. Please feel free to email me at bchbums1981@yucatan.com and I will give you my phone number so that she has it if she needs anything. I will be happy to show her around and help her all that I can! Don't worry, I wouldn't live here if it wasn't safe :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Husband and I have switched coasts, so rather than our regular winter home in Zihuatanejo, we have rented a house on the beach in what appears to be "lovely Chelem".
    My only concern is the "walkability" or taxi/bus situation of the area in getting to restarants,tienda, mercado, shopping, hospital, etc.
    Is there a local map or website that shows the "sites" anywhere online so I can see if this will be any issue?
    We have many friends and relationships in "Z" , so this is a bit different going to a place where we have no "local connections".
    (Our Grown kids and Grandson are freaked...LOL)
    We don't normally rent a car,but we would like to go to Progresso or a couple of other towns every once in a while.
    Accessability Issue or not, we are REALLY looking forward to getting to know your community.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, we will be there from mid December to early January and are interested in the local events (posadas, new years celebrations etc. )so we can participate and support the local economy!
    Thanks much,
    The Johnson's

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I guess the first thing that I need to know is where your rental home is. There really aren't taxis here but there is public transportation, little white vans called "combis" that will take you to Progreso for about 60 cents. Our town is quite small, about 5000+- people but everyone is very friendly and helpful. In Chelem there are many little tiendas, a mercado, seafood restaurants etc. The hospital is in Progreso about 5-10 minutes away depending on where you are staying. There really isn't a map that shows where things are, if I were more computer literate I would make one:)

    You will be here in time for lots of functions, my favorite being Christmas in Chelem which is in the main square, this is where all the toys are handed out to the children from a years worth of fund raising. I don't know if you use Facebook or not.....if so take a peek at our Mayan Living Real Estate page, we keep it current with events that are happening. I tend to think that you will want to rent a car instead of being at the mercy of the combis, just my thought.

    Please feel free to give me a call if you have any questions, 302-200-0461 (US #) And, a big welcome to Chelem! We hope that you enjoy your stay! T

    ReplyDelete