Example of a tricicleta
Betty carries all the tools of her trade with her, rakes, shovels, buckets of water and always a cutting of some plant or the other. She doesn’t speak a word of English or even want to, however, she and I have great conversations about plants. She smiles and gestures until we both have it all figured out!
The other day she told me I needed to have the coconuts cut out of my trees in the front yard. She was afraid they would fall off and hit our car or God forbid one of my new cuttings. We agreed that she would bring her nephew back that evening and he would cut the coconuts, I asked if she would open some of them up so that I could have some of the water inside of the coconuts.
First bunch coming down...
Many people think that the liquid inside the coconut is the same stuff that you make pina coladas with, it isn’t even close! It is a clear nutritious liquid packed with vitamins and minerals. A single coconut usually produces about 10-12 ounces of water that is low in fat and calories. I have been reading up on the health benefits recently since coconuts are abundant here and free. It seems like such a shame to have them as a natural resource and not do anything with them.
See her nephew up the tree?
Here are some of the benefits of coco water that I have read. I am not a doctor, I am not telling you to believe it all, but have found the same facts over and over.
* Abundant in vitamins, minerals and other nutrients, Coconut Water makes a wonderful energy drink. In particular, coconut water has less sugar and sodium content compared to most sports drinks, while packing more Potassium, Calcium, and Chloride, which makes it a better choice to rehydrate, replenish and boost the body's energy levels after any strenuous activity or workout. For example, in every 100ml of Coconut Water there is approximately 294mg of potassium compared to 117mg in an average energy drink, 25mg of sodium compared to 200mg in energy drinks and 41mg in most sport drinks, 5mg sugar compared to 20-25mg, and 118mg of chloride compare to 39mg in average energy and sport drinks.
* According to researchers, individuals with high blood pressure usually have low potassium levels. Therefore, drinking coconut water on a regular basis can be quite effective at regulating blood pressure due to its high concentration of potassium and lauric acid. Similarly, some recent studies have found that coconut water can help increase HDL (good) cholesterol, which makes it a wonderful natural treatment for maintaining good cardiovascular health.
* Coconut water is a natural electrolyte and isotonic beverage which help increase the body's metabolism. Therefore, it can greatly benefit people who are struggling with weight issues.
* Researchers have found that Cytokinins help regulate the cell growth and their divisions. Coconut Water contains these cytokinins and lauric acid which can minimize the aging of skin cells, balance PH levels, and keep the connective tissues strong and hydrated. Therefore, simply applying Coconut Water onto affected skin areas every night before going to bed may help with acne, age spots, wrinkles, stretch marks, cellulite, and eczema
* Fresh Coconut Water is one of the best natural drinks on the face of the earth. It doesn't have any known side effects unless somebody is prone to having allergic reactions or have severe nut allergies. It is considered to be safe for children, pregnant, and breastfeeding women. If you are taking potassium supplements it is recommended to regulate your potassium levels since Coconut Water is high in potassium.
These above facts come from homeremediesweb.com. Remember, I am not a doctor!
Another interesting fact that I found is that coconut water is almost identical to blood plasma, during World War II it was used as an intravenous hydration fluid in emergency cases. It can be used as a blood plasma substitute because it is sterile, does not produce heat, and does not destroy red blood cells and is readily accepted by the body.
With all these facts I was ready to drink my coconut water! Now this isn’t the first time that I have drank it, with all my years in Mexico I have had it many times, but believe it never tasted better than coming straight from my own tree! In Belize we used to go to a little hole in the wall bar and drink Coco Locos, a lethal combination of fresh coconut water, sugar, vodka, rum and gin topped with a few slices of lime, the health benefits of the water were certainly diminished by all the alcohol……
Now Betty comes over every other day and cuts me a couple of coconuts and pours the juice into a pitcher for me, I drink the water and use it for cooking rice, delicious!
Betty with her nephews children:
Emptying the water into my pitcher
Did I mention that Betty only charges me 300 pesos a month? Less than $30 USD, the cutting of the coconuts is free, they will take them home, make pies and sell them. It always makes me feel a bit guilty, paying so little, I always offer more and they will never take it. I do send them home with fresh baked cookies or a little dinner every once in a while, it makes me feel better.....
What a great life we have here in Chelem! If you would like a little piece of paradise like Doug and I have, don't forget to check out our real estate website here. The Mayan Living Team specializes in Merida and beach properties and is here to help you find your dream home today!
Remember, Yucatan is the safest state in all of Mexico!
Until later, warm breezes and cold beers coming at ya from Chelem.