Thursday, April 9, 2009

Books and Reading in Paradise

As of all you that know me know, I am an avid reader, I'll read most anything, cereal boxes, spanish newspapers whatever. Whenever I have friends coming to visit I always beg for books. It is really hard here to find current books in English and I bemoan the fact to my poor husband daily. I have been under the weather since Sunday, bedbound and down, this isn't supposed to happen in Paradise! Being able to do nothing but sleep and read I have now gone through every book I have thats worth a darn. When my friend First Mate Mary was here she showed me an amazing new device. Amazing at least to those of us who have been in Mexico for the past 6 years. It's called an Amazon Kindle, it allows you to download and read books of your choice whenever you want. If you are in the US it is all done wireless, here in Mexico you need to download to your computer and then to your Kindle. It automatically saves your place when you quit and is the same size or smaller than a normal paperback. You simply touch a button and it turns the "page." Wow, I think I have to have one. Unfortunately the price is bit prohibitive for those of us who live on pesos, about $359. But I will start saving up and then I'll never be without books again. I have posted a link on my blog if you are interested in buying one, if you buy it from my link it will give me a few bucks to save up for the purchase of mine and it is the same price as buying it from Amazon. In the meantime a friend of mine sent me a link to download and read the Twilight series on my laptop, if you are interested here it is:
http://janmckingley.googlepages.com/twilightmoviesandbookseriesebook2

Meanwhile here in the Yucatan, the place is jumping! The Easter week celebration is going on like crazy according to Doug. Remember, I haven't been out of the house all week to see it. Doug went in town this afternoon to try to catch up with the owner of a house that we sold a couple of weeks ago, it is getting ready to go to closing and the new owner is anxious to get some furniture moved in since they are coming down soon . The normal timeframe for a trip into town is about 2 minutes, Doug was gone over an hour, he said that traffic was bumper to bumper, the town square was full of venders, selling food, shoes, shirts, leather goods and more. There is a circus in Progreso and Doug saw 9 trucks go by full of white Bengal tigers, camel, lions etc. The rodeo is in full force and there is dancing in the streets. People are decked out in their finest local costumes and having a great time. Across the street at the little nine room hotel, we had a car count today of 23. What has happened to my quiet little village? But it will all be over on the 20th and peace and quiet will reign again! Will try to get some pictures of the festivities to you all soon, enjoy the holidays! Warm breezes and cold beers coming at ya from the sunny Yucatan!


2 comments:

  1. Hi Theresa and Doug,
    Sorry to hear you are under the weather. We have snow on the ground and a fire going up here in CO if you want to come up and recuperate. I hope you get to feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the offer, it sounds really cozy but....I think that I'll just stay curled up here watching the palm trees sway. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete