Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Everyday Life in the Yucatan, and How Safe is it Really?

Before I get started on crime and everyday life here in the Yucatan I want to wish my son Justin, a very Happy Birthday! This time 25 years ago he came into my life and changed it forever. I am a bit sad today, wishing that I could be with him. What a wonderful son he is....love you Justin! This is my handsome son with his girl, Chrissy!


Now on to the meat of the matter! I am getting more and more questions and emails about the safety here in Chelem. I guess that it is being blasted all over the news back in the states and Canada that Mexico is crime ridden and land of the drug cartel. Mexico certainly does have it's problems as do all countries, but the Yucatan is the safest state in Mexico. Last year there were only 2 murders in the entire state. The Yucatan is very different than the border towns where violence is rampant. Here we walk the streets and beaches after dark with no fears, we don't always lock our doors and never lock our windows. Many nights I have left the keys in the car and never remembered until morning. I have absolutely never heard of rape, murder or armed robbery in my area. People please remember that there are good places and bad places everywhere, I have found one of the good ones! We are in a small town with no industry except fishing and construction, the people here are good hearted and happy with the little things in life. Here is a map to show you where Chelem is:


Here is a map of Mexico, do you see how far away the Yucatan is from the border towns?

Okay, I'll get down off my bandstand now, originally I was going to show you what I see when I take a morning walk, so here goes:

An amaryllis blooming this morning in my garden


A sea bird sunning himself on some rocks. Is this a Blue Heron?


View of the harbor from the new bridge connecting Chelem and Progreso.



And finally a sight that always makes me smile, my dog Julio after a swim and a roll in the sand!

2 comments:

  1. Good morning Teresa,
    It's your new insomniac neighbor Mary at 5:00 am. I'm going to email the link to this blog article to all my friends and family that keep sending those worried emails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, so I'm not the only one up at all hours. I hope this eases the minds of those at home! I mean why in the world would we chose to pack up and move somewhere that wasn't safe?

    ReplyDelete